The theme for March products was “fast and easy”. There were lengthy foundation applications this month. I was tired, stressed, and run down. What you will see here are some tried and true favorites that get the job done.
- Elf Small Stipple Brush – at $3 I think I need more than one of these. This is the best brush for under eye concealer ever. I also tried applying foundation one day (the shade was too dark, I had to remove my makeup and start over. Travesty.) with this brush wet a little bit with some toner, and it was a nice application and not at all streaky. Recommend. Pair this with the next recommendation.
- Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser in the lightest shade and the brightening shade. I dab a little bit of both shades under my eyes and blend out with the elf brush. This is fool proof and fast. (When I need more coverage or 12 hour coverage, I use Mac ProLongwear Concealer.)
- Tarte Amazonian clay Powder Foundation – This sort of wears off by the end of a long day, but it’s still a great foundation for fast application.
- Tarte Glisten Blush. I LOVE this color. Honestly, this is crazy similar to Nars Orgasm, but BETTER on my skin. I don’t know what’s different about it but it’s much more flattering on me. Swatch this next to orgasm and it’s hard to tell the difference, but on my cheeks, there’s SOMETHING different about it.
- Ouidad Sea Salt Spray makes for a quick morning hair wise. One mornings when my hair needs washing, I spray a good amount of this in my hair and I get soft waves all day. They’re not amazing Victoria’s Secret model beach waves or anything, but they’re good enough.
So, those were the products that got me through this last month. What you’ll probably start noticing if I do these regularly is that I’m starting to find my tried-and-true holy grail status type products. Finally. After years of being a makeup addict.
I had coupons, there was a sale, and I had CVS extra-care bucks. So instead of buying my favorite expensive mascara last month, I bought some Maybelline that I have liked in the past, a new Maybelline mascara, and because I went to a funeral, I bought a waterproof that I saw some good reviews for. So here are my thoughts.
Notes: I have long lashes – I do not look for lengthening in my mascaras. I mean, lengthening is good, but what I need out of a mascara is VOLUME. I have blonde thin eyelashes and I want them to look thick and full or I think they get lost behind my glasses. Anyway. I have a feeling that if I ever started using false lashes, I’d never stop. I like the dramatic lash look.
Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express – This has long been a drugstore favorite of mine. It’s not an exact dupe of Benefit’s They’re Real, but it’s a good substitute for it. I like the plastic rubber applicator wand, and I like the formula enough. And the “blackest black” version is really black. But it doesn’t hold a curl as well, it flakes off after about 12 hours (I know this seems high maintenance, but if I do my makeup before 7 am, and I have to be at work until 8, I do not need my mascara to start flaking into my eyes after 6.), and I have to let the formula dry out for a week or so after opening before it’s workable. But really, it’s a fine drugstore mascara. It irritates my eyes if they are already irritated, but whatever. That’s another high maintenance problem.
Maybelline Lash Sensational Full Fan Effect – I bought this one because of the coupons and the sale etc. I was intrigued by the comb included on the brush. I like this! It doesn’t give huge BOLD lashes like I love, but it’s a solid mascara. It also flakes after 10-12 hours, but not a bad product.
Covergirl Full Lash Bloom in Waterproof – I bought this because I like the claims covergirl made, and some reviews said the waterproof version was good. So I got this one to go to a funeral. Also, CG products were on sale at Target that week. This is a crap mascara. The blackest black is dull – it’s almost grey. This made my eyes itch immediately upon application. It didn’t add that much volume, and then it flaked but it was also hard as hell to remove. Do not recommend.